37 Must-Know Video Marketing Statistics in 2018
In this article we will take a look at some must-know and staggering statistics about the power of video marketing in 2018 and beyond.
From simple explainer videos to professionally produced high-end theatrical content, it comes as no surprise that video is becoming more powerful every single day. People are watching more video content on more devices and with advances in technology and cheaper data, the rate is only going to increase in the coming years.
Video already out-performs all other content by a long way, so if you haven’t already started using video content to promote your business or brand then it’s time to start!
Let’s go through some great statistics we found around the web, a few of our own comments will be written in red.
The Reach of Video content in 2018 and beyond
A LOT of people are watching A LOT of video content!
- YouTube is the #2 most trafficked site in the world (Google is #1) (Alexa) Plus google has a ‘video search’ function
- More and more people are watching video online, with video predicted to make up to 80% of all global traffic by 2019. (Tubular Insights)
- We also found other congruent claims here: By 2020, online videos will make up more than 80% of all consumer internet traffic (85% in the US). (Cisco)
- And here: By 2019, video will account for about 78% of the world’s mobile data traffic. (Entrepreneur)
- One minute of video is worth 1.8 million words. (Forrester Research)
- 100 million hours of video are watched each day on Facebook. (TechCrunch)
- Users view more than 500 million hours of video each day on YouTube. (Business Insider)
- Another Example of this stat here: More than 500 million hours of video are watched on YouTube everyday. (Buffer)
- 78% of people watch online videos every week, and 55% view online videos every day. (HubSpot) (I think even more probably watch daily personally)
- According to Google, almost 50% of web users look for a video before visiting a store.
Engage and convert potential customers
Engage more people, make a deeper connection and convert better!
- Shoppers who view demo videos are 81% more likely to make a purchase than non-viewers. (Adobe)
- 30-second ads have a 30% higher view-through rate (VTR) than 15-second ads. (Think with Google)
- When video and text are both available on the same page, 72% of consumers prefer video to learn about a product or service. (Wyzowl) –People are willing to spend more time watching your ads than you think…
- 95% of people have watched an explainer video to learn more about a product or service. (Wyzowl)
- Viewers retain 95% of a message after watching it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Wirebuzz)
- 90% of users report that product videos are helpful in the decision process of the buyer’s journey. (Strategic-IC)
- 46% of users act after viewing a video ad. (WordStream) -This is a HUGE percentage! Take note!
- When users enjoy video ads, their purchase intent is increased by 97%. (Strategic-IC) -Seems to reflect the above statement
- 84% of consumers surveyed were convinced to buy a product or service after watching a brand’s video. (Neil Patel)
- 85% of people said they’d like to see more video from brands in 2018. (Wyzowl) -Customers are literally telling you what they want!
- 56% of consumers believe that a company should have video content on its website. (Forbes) -100% of Recal Media staff believe they should!
- After one minute, only 5% of viewers stop watching videos, but 60% will stop watching after two minutes. (VideoGuru)
- 95% of consumers believe a video should be less than 2 minutes long. (Wyzowl) -Would assume this specifically means advertising content?
- Average retention rate for videos over 30 minutes is only 10%. (VidYard)
- Our take away from these stats: 1-2 minutes is a great length for max viewer retention but a decent portion of people will watch all the way to the end no matter what length. So either go short (1-2 min) or take your time, dive deep and go for 5,10,20 or even 30 minutes!
- Because of its visual nature, 80% of users can recall a video ad they’ve seen in the past 30 days. (Forbes)
Social Media Video Statistics
Your customers are on social media, and guess what engages them best..!?
- Organic Facebook engagement is highest on posts with videos (13.9%), with photos coming in second (13.7%). (Locowise)
- Sponsored video content views on Facebook has jumped 258% since 2016, and shows no sign of stopping through 2019. (Tubular Insights)
Free/Organic Reach stats:
- Videos are shared 1200% more times than links and text combined. (Virtuets) -When done well it can literally like having a free marketing team!
- Another Source: Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and image content combined. (Wordstream)
- After watching a branded video they enjoyed, 83% of consumers would consider sharing it with their friends. (Wyzowl)
Mobile Device Stats: Reach your customers anywhere, anytime!
- According to YouTube, more than half of all YouTube video consumption is via mobile devices. -People watch content wherever they are
- comScore says users spend 40 minutes a day, on average, watching YouTube on mobile devices. -Then they stay engaged!
- Video traffic on mobile devices accounted for 60 percent of total mobile data traffic in 2016. [Cisco…]
Our take on these mobile stats: People are watching content wherever they are via their phones and they stay engaged for long periods (40 min a day on average). This is from 2016 so with phone data getting more abundant and much cheaper these stats are sure to rise.
Those who prioritise video are already winning, including your competitors!
If you’re not already convinced, perhaps some of these stats will help!
- Of businesses that don’t currently use video, 65% plan on doing so in 2018 and beyond — and 99% of those that currently do, plan on continuing. (Hubspot)
- Businesses and marketers who used video ended up growing revenue 49% faster than non-video users in 2017. (Vidyard)
- 83% of businesses say their homepage explainer video is effective. (Wyzowl) -This likely includes poorly done videos too, It would surely be a higher % for good content.
- In the past 30 days, more online video content has been uploaded to the web than the past 30 years of TV content. (Blue Corona) -Re-read that!!!
A few more statistics:
- Before reading any text, 60% of site visitors will watch a video if one is available. (Single Grain)
- On average, people spend 2.6x more time on pages with video than without. (Insivia)
- Videos in email have been shown to increase click-through rates (CTR) by over 96% on the first introductory email. (Single Grain)
If you’re reading this article you no doubt have an interest in video content. Maybe you are already using the power of video to your advantage or maybe it’s something you’re looking into right now. Whatever your reason hopefully these statistics shed some light on just how large of and impact video can make.
Some of these stats are a few years old so the numbers may be higher by the time you read this. It’s also useful to remember these are mostly just aggregate data points, meaning they will take into account people who are doing a bad job of video marketing as well as those who are willing to invest the time, effort and money in producing higher quality better converting content.
Feel free to share this article with any friends or businesses you think it may help.
Let’s get started!
If you would like to speak to us about creating video content for your brand or business then we would be happy to speak with you about your goals.
You can visit out contact page or email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of our previous work can be seen here: Video Production Portfolio
Over and out!
-Aaron, Captain – Recal media.